Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Bedtime

We've been pretty exclusively practicing co-sleeping with Baby Adam, although SIDS is a good reason to do it, we've had a variety of reasons. It's easier to nurse and bond with the baby, if he wakes in the middle of the night either of us can extend an hand to rub his back.

For four months our bed looked something like this:
~A body pillow at the head of the bed (less pillows, less entrapment obstacles)
~A chunk of carpet padding under the sheet in the dead center of the bed (this tightened up the sheets and made a firmer place for Adam-who's a tummy sleeper)
~Top sheets have been our only covering, two of them. This allows for us each to have our own, and only over the legs.

At about four months old, the risk of SIDS goes down, and apparently separation anxiety goes up.

At four months we put him in the crib for the whole night. He ate two or three times, but back in the crib he went. My usually happy-in-the-morning baby woke up hysterical and I felt like the worst mom ever award was mine... but I kept at it. By night three ALL THREE of us were sleeping better (and warmer).

He's been in the crib since (nearing three weeks now) and he's having no issues and is waking up smiling and happy again. Can we call it co-sleeping anymore, not entirely, but since I have the crib flush against the bed still, I do tend to say he sleeps with me-sorta haha. Next step will be pushing it away from the bed followed by putting something up so he can't see me (I think this is all more for me than him. By Spring I'm hoping to have him in his own room, in a happy sleep routine <3

No comments:

Post a Comment