Saturday, February 1, 2014

Earth Mama...? Nah, Just Healthy

 ~ Scrambled Eggs blended with Spinach & Whole Grain Toast ~ 

I've got this awkward feeling, You know where your browser history of homesteading, organic parenting, and homemade baby food far outweighs the social media and email websites? Yeah... that feeling. Well, I've been researching healthy alternatives for over a year now and I think it's safe to say that I'm not earthy, organic, or even crunchy... I want us to eat food that was by design meant to be consumed (you know... whole foods).

With that bit of info finally burned into my brain, and my heart less weighed down with the image of myself in a grass woven skirt barefoot in the jungles of Africa, I've soldiered on, ready for what lies ahead. So far..;

We've been eating many more eggs, and while searching for a friend who may have laying hens, I do get the 'cage-raised ones' that are cheapest at Walmart. We've been burning through about 18 every two weeks. Eggs have become more than a staple. Adam and I often have the afore mentioned scrambled eggs with spinach for breakfast and later on I'll down at least one deviled egg (yes, with the processed food items mayo, mustard, and relish). 

We've also gotten into whole grains. Most of our pastas are still plain white or semolina, but we've moved toward more whole grains in that department. Our bread is almost always at the very least 100% whole wheat, if not whole grain and our rice is half white, half organic brown rice. AND while I can't for the life of me justify spending three dollars more for whole wheat flour, I have been getting unbleached for baking and gravys.

Newest and most exciting is our smoothies. I burnt out on Greek yogurt, but I'm sure we'll return to it. Our yogurt bases are plain full-fat yogurt, almond milk, ice and banana. Our favorite additions are either strawberry with more ice to give it a fun slushy texture (which Adam loves) or my personal favorite, loaded with peanut butter and honey (Adam hasn't yet been allowed to have the honey sweetened version, but he's nearing the age of lesser botulism!) Today, we were out of yogurt, so our after lunch smoothie routine was minus the yogurt with more milk... even more of a pb and banana delectable! 


Next we'll be starting to watch our intake of dyes. I'm not going crazy on this one, but it is a concern that dyes mess with many children's emotional well-being and has (like most things) started causing cancer. So, the less artificial dyes, the better. For those curious and not into research, these dyes are the FD&C numbered dyes... seven of them to be precise; Red 3, Red 40, Blue 1, Blue 2 , Yellow 5, Yellow 6, and Green 3. Also, Caramel color is to be closely observed. The FDA is FINALLY looking into some colors, and this one contains possible high amounts of naturally ocurring carcinogens... that's right, directly causing cancer. All your favorite sodas, people.

Alright, I'm done! ;)

1 comment:

  1. You should try this: 2 spoonfuls of yogurt, 1 cup milk, 1 banana, 1 tbs honey, 1/2 tsp tumetic, 1/2 tsp ginger, 1/2 tsp cinnamon. Soooo good and tumeric is very healthy. Also can be made as a hot beverage sans banana! -Kairee

    ReplyDelete