Friday, April 24, 2015

PRESCHOOL CURRICULUM?? 
 


This was not really the plan, formally homeschooling a toddler... it seemed overkill, unnecessary structuring to
his world. So when I found the Star Wars Preschool ABC workbook, naturally I bought it :o And I soon had a mini,
semi-informal curriculum built up for him.

Here's the thought... In September there will be a new baby
and so goes it with new baby's, less time for the first one.
Adam has always loved books, letters and games. He likes structured sit down activities, despite his energy levels. This
Approach may not be suited to some toddlers, but if I have expectations of him sitting an hour in church (less really since
he's up and moving during worship and welcome aspects of
the service already), why should I not expect some cooperation
with a structured, albeit toddler tailored, lesson?

This workbook covers capitals and lowercase letters, how to identify them (character names vs things, which would obviously be an older toddler lesson) and how to trace and draw them. You remember the sheets with the attic and basement analogies, right? Same thing. I have a copier and can make several copies of each sheet to give him practice with it (as well as preserve this nine dollar Michael's found gem).
 
The next thing I found was at the Dollar Tree. I
got three different sets of these flash cards. Two
Pooh Bear themed and one Mickey Mouse. All
three are actually card games that teach toddlers
how to recognize the number with the count. They'll
span a few years as the spelled out word is on the
backs of some of the cards to learn to match the
written word with the number. They're rather cute
and work like matching games. One of the Pooh
Bear sets is more of a practical counting application.
Three nails to match to one hammer, 2 Honey pots
to match to One Pooh Bear etc. They're adorable,
and some of Adam's favorite characters.

Last but not least was a book from our favorite series, the Baby Lit Board Books. They're books comprised of fun, very unique and simple illustrations and a word or sometimes a few word prompts from the classic tale it's retelling. We have Dracula, Sherlock Holmes and the Wizard of Oz already. They're counting, color and sound primers that use major elements and themes from the original to teach babies a concept. I was looking for a different one at Barnes and Noble when I spotted this. A Spanish word Primer using the images and ideas in Don Quixote. It teaches toddlers Spanish words that are prevalent in the story... man, woman, windmill (kid you not), horse. Not necessarily practical Spanish, but words from another language that makes for some fun learning.
 


SO that's our curriculum for the year. With a new baby I think it would help Momma focus if there's a few chunks of time through the week where we've scheduled these games and stories-likely during new baby naps. All of this... $23.00. I think we'll have fun with it.

Additionally, he's going to start the school year (November - give us time to figure a toddler AND a baby out) with this kickin new shirt from the HSLDA store:

No comments:

Post a Comment