Qapla'! Success is MINE!
Okay, so the great cloth diapering caper is in it's second full month (on three month old Adam) and it's going splendidly. We haven't had to mix anything up, and instead perfected some things.
First, the diaper covers are still holding up well (Econobum from Cottonbabies.com is you recall). They wash out best when rinsed, soaked in Free and Clear detergent and than washed out with a high power spray. Those diaper hoses are good but since I'm cheap (economically-minded) I use my shower head. And I do so while I'm showering, saves time and water. When I can't take the stain on the elastic any longer I hang them in the sun for about 20 minutes (gotta love Arizona!).
The wipes are fantastic! They came in and 50 was more than enough. I typically have about 5 days of wipes before I must make more (but usually I make them every two, two and a half along with the folding of cleanly laundered diapers). I bought two long Rubbermaid lunch containers and they fit perfectly in them, folded in half once.
I haven't experimented with many recipes just yet, but our favorite thus far is as follows;
4 cups of warm water (I use a rinsed out Great Value large yogurt container. It's the PERFECT size)
2 tablespoons of coconut oil
1 tablespoon of baby wash (I was using Burt's Bees Baby Shampoo, but that got expensive)
Stir it all up, dip the wipes and wring. Don't wring too hard as if they're really dried out they'll be more abrasive on baby-bums :( Which is sad, but then I have the Burt's Bees Baby Bees diaper ointment, which Adam seems to like. It's cooling and doesn't irritate any rash.
On the rash note, we've had like three total using the cloth diapers and wipes, but as soon as we have to use a back up disposable he breaks out in little heat rash looking spots. Not nice at all. So, preemptively, the diapering has saved him many an itchy bottom.
Sounds like you got this under control! What a great mom you are becoming!
ReplyDelete